THE DRIVE with Alan Taylor | Episode #265
We’re back at SEMA in 2016 broadcasting from the heart of the Shell Pioneering Performance Pavilion with co-host Jeff Allen of “The Car Chasers” and “Skidmarks Show”! In this week’s special event episode we talk with the movers and shakers of the car world including notable guests: The Diesel Brothers, Mater Dei Supermileage Team, Bryce Menzies, Antron Brown, Ron Capps, Fast Jack Beckman, James Bell, Rhys Millen, Neil Tjin, John Hennessey, Craig Jackson, Clint Sly, Doug Clark, Joey Logano, Jimmy Houston, Tommy Pike, Ellen Bireley, Mark Gessler, Larry Koester, Tommy Johnson, Jr., Craig Corzine, Brian Reese and Tom Park.
- [00:00:00] Diesel Brothers Brodozer
- [00:07:53] Ultra Energy Efficient
- [00:12:30] A New Frontier
- [00:19:45] Trophies, Checks, and Wrecks
- [00:28:59] Challenge Coins for a Cause
- [00:35:45] Kia’s Cool Concepts
- [00:42:05] From Pikes Peak to Baja 1000
- [00:49:12] That Classic Tjin Spin
- [00:54:36] Making Fast Cars Faster
- [01:01:59] Global Car Celebration
- [01:10:00] Keep it Cool, like Hagerty
- [01:17:58] Joey Dreams of Greatness
- [01:24:19] America’s Favorite Fisherman
- [01:32:17] Out-of-this-world Good
- [01:36:20] Ray Harroun and the Marmon Wasp
- [01:44:12] From the Mouths of Babes
- [01:54:19] Tractor Pulling, A Family Sport
- [02:00:13] Smarter Tools
Discover more about segments and guests below…
[00:00:00] Diesel Brothers Brodozer
Discovery Channel’s “Diesel Brothers” is a fan-favorite among gear heads which showcases the DieselSellerz (@DieselSellerz) shop in Woods Cross, Utah. The truck-loving crew set out to celebrate what they consider the “classic car of our generation” in a YouTube series filled with tricked out trucks and crazy antics. They soon became a web sensation catching the eye of automotive heavyweights like Jay Leno! Heavy D, Diesel Dave, and the gang give us details on a recent epic build, “The Brodozer”, a yellow Ford F-350 proudly displayed in the Shell Pioneering Performance Pavilion at SEMA.
[00:07:53] Ultra Energy Efficient
Can you imagine receiving over 900 miles per gallon? The Mater Dei Supermileage Team is setting records and shaking up how we feel about fuel efficiency with their urban concept car at the Shell Eco-Marathon. We look to the future with high school seniors (and wicked-smart engineers) Grant Weiss and Mitchell Heim.
[00:12:30] A New Frontier
Launching himself 379.4 feet over a New Mexico ghost town, Bryce Menzies (@BryceMenzies7) hit the ramp at speeds upwards of 105 MPH… in a truck! What’s it like to fly a 2-wheel drive, 900-HP truck through the air? We get a behind the scenes look at the Guinness World Record breaking project, “Bryce Menzies New Frontier powered by Pennzoil Synthetics.” Plus, find out what’s on the horizon for Menzies Motorsports including the grueling 2017 Dakar Rally, what many consider the toughest off-road race in the world.
[00:19:45] Trophies, Checks, and Wrecks
Don Schumacher Racing‘s Antron Brown (@AntronBrownTF) just secured another championship. Is the 3-time NHRA Top Fuel World Champion enjoying the afterglow? Antron recounts the moment he crossed the finish line and later received the bad-ass Wally Parks Trophy. It’s not all trophies and novelty checks, however. We discuss the “butt-cheek-quivering” sensation of flipping your office (Read: Race Car) upside down. Fellow DSR driver, Ron Capps (@RonCapps28), recently endured a bone-chilling wreck at the U.S. Nationals at Indianapolis which left him trapped inside his funny car. Ron walks us through the life-changing crash.
[00:28:59] Challenge Coins for a Cause
When people look at a funny car’s paint scheme, they often assume sponsorships are involved. That’s not the case for two special vehicles in the Don Schumacher Racing stables – The Infinite Hero Car and Make a Wish Car are 100% funded by philanthropist Terry Chandler. 2012 NHRA Top Fuel World Champion, U.S. Air Force Veteran, and cancer survivor, Fast Jack Beckman (@FastJackBeckman), explains how the Infinite Hero Foundation is supporting the brave men and women who have served in the armed forces by debuting the Jack Beckman NHRA Challenge Coin.
[00:35:45] Kia’s Cool Concepts
Kia has unveiled four new concepts at SEMA to showcase the brand’s commitment to autonomous car tech. Director of Corporate Communications, James Bell (@_Petrolhead), says these aren’t your typical “vanilla” cars, they’re cutting edge and oozing with cool. We learn more about Kia’s concept vehicles: “Soul First Class”, Sedona “School of Rock” minivan, “Niro Triathlon” crossover, and “Sorento Ski Gondola” SUV.
[00:42:05] From Pikes Peak to Baja 1000
Rhys Millen (@RhysMillen) has had an incredible year! After setting an all new record at the 100th Anniversary of Pikes Peak International Hill Climb in an all-electric powered vehicle (we’re talking 1500 HP with 1700 ft-lbs of torque in a sports car!), the Pennzoil JOYRIDE Series, and the Red Bull Global Rallycross streak, we can’t wait to see what he does in the UTV Class at Baja 1000. Listen in as we sit down with one of America’s top professional drivers.
[00:49:12] That Classic Tjin Spin
Renowned automotive designer, Neil Tjin (@TheNeilTjin), marks his 20th year at SEMA with the unveiling of several customs like his 2017 Tjin Edition Pennzoil Honda Ridgeline. Neil shares details of recent notable builds, how he got his start in the hobby, and more.
[00:54:36] Making Fast Cars Faster
We sit down with John Hennessey (@HennesseyPerf) to catch up on Hennessey Performance’s new builds to commemorate their 25th Anniversary, including an 804 horsepower Mustang, Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat with HPE1000 Twin Turbo/Supercharged Engine Upgrade proudly painted in Shell yellow, and VelociRaptor 6X6. We also hear about Hennessey’s new Tuner School, a 14-week program for the young who have the dream and passion to learn a variety of modifications.
[01:01:59] Global Car Celebration
Mark your calendars! The global automotive celebration and collector car auction, Barrett-Jackson (@Barrett_Jackson), returns to Scottsdale this January! From notable charity cars like Steven Tyler’s Hennessey Venom GT, to Charlie Thomas’ 150 car collection, and loads of cool memorabilia, we cover some of the event highlights with Barrett-Jackson CEO, Craig Jackson.
[01:10:00] Keep it Cool, like Hagerty
How do you make insurance “cool”? Start by building a company brimming with car nuts, add an interesting video series or two, and give back to the passionate community of auto lovers. Doug Clark and Clint Sly of Hagerty Insurance (@Hagerty) fill us in on two innovative video series hitting the web: “The Wrenchmen” and “Barn Find Hunters” before discussing efforts to shape the next generation of gearheads seeking technical occupations.
[01:17:58] Joey Dreams of Greatness
When Team Penske NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Driver, Joey Logano (@JoeyLogano), was young he used to dream of being a pro-driver from the comfort of his race car bed. By the time Santa Claus brought him a go kart for Christmas, his racing destiny was sealed. We find out what it’s like to work with a racing icon like Roger Penske, and discuss championship hopes for the #22 Shell Pennzoil Ford.
[01:24:19] America’s Favorite Fisherman
What do the SEMA show and FLW Angler Jimmy Houston’s professional fishing career have in common? They both turned 50 this year! Quaker State is joining in on the celebration by partnering with Tommy Pike Customs to create a custom Ram 1500 with tons of impressive modifications including a full vinyl wrap resembling a largemouth bass. We talk cars, boats, fuel efficiency and fishing tips with “America’s Favorite Fisherman”, Jimmy Houston (@Jimmy_Houston). Listen now.
[01:32:17] Out-of-this-world Good
What is it like to work with such impressive companies like Shell, Shell ROTELLA, and Quaker State? For preeminent car customizer, Tommy Pike (@TommyPikeCustom), it’s a dream come true. We take a moment to recognize the innovative thinkers and second-to-none products offered by Shell’s family of brands.
[01:36:20] Ray Harroun and the Marmon Wasp
The original Marmon Wasp, what the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum (@IMSMuseum) considers the “Crown Jewel” of their collection, was lovingly displayed in the Shell Pioneering Performance Pavilion during SEMA. Reflecting on the historic marvel, IMSM’s Ellen Bireley and Mark Gessler of the Historic Vehicle Association (@HistoricVehicle), share the incredible story of Ray Harroun: a chauffeur turned inventor and Indy 500 winner.
[01:44:12] From the Mouths of Babes
More than 30 years ago, Larry Koester (@KoesterRacing) found himself trapped underneath a tractor. When rescue workers attempted to lift the tractor off of him, leaking gasoline caught fire, burning 42% of his body. Four months later, the 31-year-old husband and father was released from the hospital as a double amputee. As he struggled with depression, a simple statement from his 3-year-old daughter transformed his life, “Don’t cry, daddy. I love you even without your legs.” Today, both Larry and Don Schumacher Racing Funny Car Driver, Tommy Johnson, Jr. (@TommyJohnsonJr) are on a mission to change the lives of children everywhere through the Make a Wish Foundation. Listen in to find out more.
[01:54:19] Tractor Pulling, A Family Sport
How did NTPA Mini Modified Driver, Larry Koester (@KoesterRacing) and Super Modified 2-Wheel Driver, Craig Corzine (@CorzineMotorsports) get their start in tractor pulling? We take a look back to where it all began with hand-built rigs and homemade frames.
[02:00:13] Smarter Tools
How smart is your toolbox? In the “Internet of Things” era, Craftsman (@Craftsman) aims to integrate emerging tech with reliable products to make a seamless and secure user experience. Senior Director of Product Development, Brian Reese, fills us in on the new Craftsman Smart Lock Toolboxes. Widening our conversation, we find out what’s to come for the 90-year-old American tool manufacturer with Sears Holdings Corporation’s (@SearsHoldings) Tom Park.
Special Guests and Contributors:
- Guest: Dave “Heavy D” Sparks | Television Star/ Custom Vehicle Builder, DieselSellerZ Team / “Diesel Brothers“
- Guest: Dave “Diesel Dave” Kiley | Television Star, DieselSellerZ Team / “Diesel Brothers“
- Guest: Josh “Redbeard” Stuart | Television Star/ Custom Vehicle Builder, DieselSellerZ Team / “Diesel Brothers“
- Guest: Keaton “The Muscle” Hoskins | Television Star, DieselSellerZ Team / “Diesel Brothers“
- Guest: Chet Hoskins | Cast Member, DieselSellerZ Team / “Diesel Brothers“
- Guest: Grant Weiss | Team Member, Mater Dei Supermileage Team
- Guest: Mitchell Heim | Team Member, Mater Dei Supermileage Team
- Guest: Bryce Menzies | Team Owner/ Driver, Menzies Motorsports
- Guest: Antron Brown | Top Fuel Champion, Don Schumacher Racing
- Guest: Ron Capps | Funny Car Champion, Don Schumacher Racing
- Guest: Jack Beckman | Pro Driver/ 2012 NHRA World Champion, Don Schumacher Racing
- Guest: James Bell | Director of Corporate Communications, Kia
- Guest: Rhys Millen | Pro Driver, Rhys Millen Racing
- Guest: Neil Tjin | Automotive Designer, Tjin Edition Road Show
- Guest: John Hennessey | President, Hennessey Performance
- Guest: Craig Jackson | Chairman/ CEO, Barrett-Jackson
- Guest: Clint Sly | Managing Director Financial Services, Hagerty Insurance
- Guest: Doug Clark | Vice President of Marketing, Hagerty Insurance
- Guest: Joey Logano | NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Driver, Team Penske
- Guest: Jimmy Houston | Professional Fisherman, “America’s Favorite Fisherman”
- Guest: Tommy Pike | Car Customizer, Tommy Pike Customs
- Guest: Ellen Bireley | Director, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum
- Guest: Mark Gessler | President, Historic Vehicle Association
- Guest: Larry Koester | NTPA Mini Modified Driver, Koester Racing
- Guest: Tommy Johnson, Jr. | Funny Car Driver, Don Schumacher Racing
- Guest: Craig Corzine | Super Modified 2-Wheel Driver, Corzine Motorsports
- Guest: Brian Reese | Senior Director of Product Development, Craftsman
- Guest: Tom Park | President Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard Divisions, Sears Holdings Corporation
- Website: Shell Eco-Marathon
- Website: Dakar Rally
- Website: Pennzoil JOYRIDE Series
- Website: Hennessey Perofrmance Tuner School
- Website: Shell
- Website: Shell ROTELLA
- Website: Quaker State
- YouTube Channel: HeavyDSparks
- Gallery: Charlie Thomas’ 150 car collection
- Vehicle Mention: 2017 Tjin Edition Pennzoil Honda Ridgeline
- Vehicle Mention: 2016 Hennesey 25th Anniversary Edition Ford Mustang
- Vehicle Mention: 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat HPE1000 Twin Turbo
- Vehicle Mention: Velociraptor 6×6
- Vehicle Mention: Steven Tyler’s Hennessey Venom GT
- Vehicle Mention: Custom Ram 1500
- Host: Alan Taylor
- Co-Host: Jeff Allen
- Producer: Becky Vaughn
- Engineer: Jason Masters
- Production Asst.: Joanne Bolden
- Copy Editor: Becky Vaughn
Our Sponsors & Supported Charities:
- Austin Hatcher Foundation
- Foundation of Human Understanding
- Go RVing
- Haynes Manuals
- Patriot Outreach
- The Little Rock Foundation
This episode was produced by Entertainment Right Now (ERN). If you found value in this episode, and you’d like to hear more, please consider leaving us a review on iTunes and be sure to subscribe to our podcast so you don’t miss a beat. Your feedback helps us to reach more enthusiasts around the world! If you have a question you’d like us to answer, please leave a comment below or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.