THE DRIVE with Alan Taylor | Episode #266
It’s time for round two of our SEMA 2016 coverage at the Shell Pioneering Performance Pavilion with special guest co-host, Jeff Allen of the “Skidmarks Show”. Notable guests this week include: Shawn Langdon, Tom Cotter, Sung Kang, Don Moser, Ashley Corzine, Ethan Dometrius, Vaughn Gittin Jr., Davin Reckow, Matt Lewis, Eric Ables, Don Schumacher, Tony Schumacher, Matt Hagan, Leah Pritchett, Tommy Johnson Jr., Alexis Hernandez, Terry Emig, Joe Ray, Rudy Rivas, and Michael Grey.
- [00:00:00] Just Like Dad
- [00:06:11] Thrill of the Hunt
- [00:12:30] Opportunity Embodied
- [00:19:51] Like Father, Like Daughter
- [00:29:43] Skidmarks Show Origin Story
- [00:35:50] Vaughn’s Dream Mustang
- [00:42:10] Meet “The Wrenchmen”
- [00:49:24] The Mad Scientist
- [00:54:41] A Winning Family Legacy
- [01:02:03] DSR for the Win
- [01:11:32] Fueling Futures
- [01:18:03] Busting Stereotypes
Discover more about segments and guests below…
[00:00:00] Just Like Dad
For Shawn Langdon (@ShawnLangdonTF), the sport of drag racing was a family affair. Shawn recalls being inspired to get behind the wheel after many years of watching his father compete. When NHRA began their Jr. Drag Racing League, he jumped at the opportunity to race and soon clinched his first title at the age of 14. Flash forward and Shawn has secured the 2013 Top Fuel Championship and is now a proud member of Don Schumacher Racing. We find out what it’s like to work with the best-of-the-best in motorsports.
[00:06:11] Thrill of the Hunt
At 15, a young Tom Cotter scored his first barn find on a quiet street in Long Island, a 1939 Ford Woodie he purchased for $300 in 1969. A lifelong passion was born, and Tom dedicated much of his career to finding cool cars in unsuspecting places. Hagerty’s (@Hagerty) latest web series, “Barn Find Hunter” follows Tom on his adventures across the country. We learn about Tom’s greatest discovery to date, a 1957 Porsche Speedster which sat untouched for 40 years in a Texas garage.
[00:12:30] Opportunity Embodied
After gaining acclaim and notoriety for his role as Han Lue in “The Fast and the Furious“, Sung Kang (@sungkang) was left searching for a way to give back to the car community. He embarked on a new project to get wrenches into the hands of today’s youth. When Shell’s North America Marketing Manager, Don Moser, first met Sung, it was clear that they were both on the same mission. Now we learn more about Project Underdog, a program aiming to inspire a love affair of autos for the next generation.
[00:19:51] Like Father, Like Daughter
Corzine Motorsports (@corzinemtrspts) Super Modified 2-Wheel Driver, Ashley Corzine, has been a part of the truck and tractor pulling sport for over 30 years now. Not only is Ashley a competitor in her own right, her father, Larry Koester, and husband, Craig Corzine, also compete. Ashley fills us in on what new mods are planned for the Shell ROTELLA “Second Degree” truck. Plus, for the first time ever, Ashley shares Larry’s tremendous journey of perseverance on the Shell Pioneering Performance stage.
[00:29:43] Skidmarks Show Origin Story
While filming the second season of “The Car Chasers“, Jeff Allen had the urge to let his hair down and pursue a passion project, an audio podcast featuring everything automotive (and some things that aren’t) with no interference from a network. After doing several interviews at a local radio station with Ethan D., Jeff Allen knew that he would make the perfect co-host. Jeff and Ethan tell the origin story of “Skidmarks Show” (@SkidmarksShow).
[00:35:50] Vaughn’s Dream Mustang
The stock Ford Mustang is a beast with 450-HP, plenty of torque, and well-balanced chassis. RTR Racing (@MustangRTR) is cranking the Mustang up to 11 with modern and aggressive styling cues, enhanced performance, and drifting balance options. We expect nothing less from professional mad man, Vaughn Gittin, Jr. (@VaughnGittinJr)! Find out more about the new Mustang RTR coming to a Ford dealership near you.
[00:42:10] Meet “The Wrenchmen”
We all know someone who has started a project car with the best of intentions, but for one reason or another, the vehicle is left sitting untouched. Cue “The Wrenchmen“! Hagerty’s (@Hagerty) Davin Reckow and Matt Lewis and are pounding the pavement in search of neglected autos with a goal of getting them back on the road. We learn what inspired Davin and Matt to get involved in the auto industry before finding out where they’ll be heading next.
[00:49:24] The Mad Scientist
You’ve seen him on some of your favorite automotive TV shows like “Car Warriors” and “The Car Chasers“, Eric Ables (@unsafescience) joins the show. Our special guest co-host, Jeff Allen (@JeffAllenLive) reveals how “The Mad Scientist” earned his nickname, before sharing a behind-the-scenes moment involving a remote-controlled, pizza box airplane.
[00:54:41] A Winning Family Legacy
Don Schumacher Racing (@shoeracing) has eight active motorsports teams. That’s right, eight! Although he has an unrivaled number of pro teams currently, Don stays humble, attributing his success to tremendous fans and talented drivers like his son, Tony (@TheSargeTF). The father-son duo sound off on success, sponsorships, and why they’d never settle for your “typical office job.”
[01:02:03] DSR for the Win
If you’re a member of Don Schumacher Racing, you’d better be prepared to be surrounded by champions. DSR is brimming with talent, and we’re honored to be joined by three impressive drivers; Matt Hagan (@MattHagan_FC), Leah Pritchett (@LeahPritchettTF), and Tommy Johnson, Jr. (@TommyJohnson_Jr). We get a glimpse into the mind of a pro-driver to find out what it takes to get behind the wheel of a 10,000-HP beast. Special shout out to the Hagan’s who recently added a beautiful baby to the family roster.
[01:11:32] Fueling Futures
“Project Underdog” is the compelling web series following three young students as they set out to rebuild a 1972 Ford Maverick. The U-Dog car will be auctioned next year at Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas and proceeds will supply scholarships enabling the young build team to pursue a career in the automotive industry. Fast & Furious star, Sung Kang (@sungkang), Universal Technical Institute Director or Business Alliances, Terry Emig (@UTITweet), and UDreamTeam student, Alexis Hernandez, share how UTI has joined forces with the inspiring passion project.
[01:18:03] Busting Stereotypes
Who do you picture as the typical lowrider owner – Is it a doctor, teacher, or fireman? Quaker State (@QuakerState) and Lowrider Magazine (@LowriderMag) have joined forces to create the new video series, “Roll Models“, a show following prominent members of the lowrider community like Caesars Palace CFO, Michael Grey. Joe Ray, Rudy Rivas, and Michael give us a preview of what’s to come on the innovative program.
Special Guests and Contributors:
- Guest: Shawn Langdon | NHRA Racer and Top Fuel Champion, Don Schumacher
- Guest: Tom Cotter | TV Star, Hagerty‘s “Barn Find Hunter“
- Guest: Don Moser | North American Marketing Manager, Shell
- Guest: Sung Kang | Actor, “The Fast and the Furious” / Project Underdog
- Guest: Ashley Corzine | Super Modified 2-Wheel Driver, Corzine Motorsports
- Guest: Ethan Dometrius | Radio Host, Skidmarks Show
- Guest: Vaughn Gittin, Jr. | World Champion Drifter, RTR Vehicles
- Guest: Davin Reckow | Parts Supply Specialist, Hagerty Insurance /
- “The Wrench Men“
- Guest: Matt Lewis | Social Media Analyst, Hagerty Insurance / “The Wrench Men“
- Guest: Eric Ables | Mad Scientist, Skidmarks Show
- Guest: Don Schumacher | Funny Car Driver, Don Schumacher Racing
- Guest: Tony Schumacher | Top Fuel Champion, Don Schumacher Racing
- Guest: Matt Hagan | Funny Car Champion, Don Schumacher Racing
- Guest: Leah Pritchett | Top Fuel Driver, Don Schumacher Racing
- Guest: Tommy Johnson, Jr. | Funny Car Driver, Don Schumacher Racing
- Guest: Terry Emig | Director Business Alliances, UTI
- Guest: Alexis Hernandez |Project Underdog Participant/Student, Project Underdog/UTI
- Guest: Joe Ray | Editor, Lowrider Magazine / “Roll Models“
- Guest: Rudy Rivas | General Manager, Lowrider Magazine / “Roll Models” / The Enthusiast Network
- Guest: Michael Grey | CFO, Caesars Palace / Lowrider Magazine / Roll Models” / USO Car ClubCaesars Palace
- Vehicle Mention: 1957 Porsche Speedster
- Host: Alan Taylor
- Co-Host: Jeff Allen
- Producer: Becky Vaughn
- Engineer: Jason Masters
- Production Asst.: Joanne Bolden
- Copy Editor: Becky Vaughn
Our Sponsors & Supported Charities:
- Austin Hatcher Foundation
- Foundation of Human Understanding
- Go RVing
- Haynes Manuals
- Patriot Outreach
- The Little Rock Foundation
This episode was produced by Entertainment Right Now (ERN). If you found value in this episode, and you’d like to hear more, please consider leaving us a review on iTunes and be sure to subscribe to our podcast so you don’t miss a beat. Your feedback helps us to reach more enthusiasts around the world! If you have a question you’d like us to answer, please leave a comment below or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About THE DRIVE with Alan Taylor
THE DRIVE with Alan Taylor puts you in the driver’s seat for a unique, fast paced look at today’s automotive industry. This is your pedal-to-the-metal, two-hour thrill ride devoted to the latest car news and test-drive results, how-to tips car maintenance tips, auto show coverage, expert insights and behind-the-scenes race day action. Don’t miss exclusive interviews with top auto executives, athletes, celebrities and prominent newsmakers from around the world.