THE DRIVE with Alan Taylor | Episode #267
There’s so much happening at the LA International Auto Show, we’re having trouble keeping up! Luckily, we’ve lined up plenty of amazing guests from all of the top car companies who can fill us in on show highlights. For all the biggest news of the coming year, listen in!
- [00:00:00] The Sweet Spot Car
- [00:05:47] Driven to Delight
- [00:12:30] Ioniq Unlimited
- [00:19:51] From Here to Infiniti
- [00:27:01] Keeping Up the I-PACE
- [00:35:50] What3Words
- [00:42:10] Monster Trucks
- [00:48:46] Mission E-Possible
- [00:54:41] Super Sized Subaru
- [01:02:03] A Lifestyle Vehicle
- [01:10:15] ReachNow
- [01:18:03] Premium Practicality
Discover more about segments and guests below…
[00:00:00] The Sweet Spot Car
Mazda (@MazdaUSA) has had great success with their CX-5 model in past years, and 2016 was no different. Here to talk about the future of the Mazda philosophy and the recent launch of the CX-9 is President and CEO Masahiro Moro.
[00:05:47] Driven to Delight
The future of Acura (@Acura)was unveilved here at the LA International Auto Show when the Precision Cockpit Concept was introduced. The Precision Cockpit takes what a touch screen does, adds what a remote can do, and combines both into an intuitive touch pad that eliminates driver distraction. Dave Marek, Global Creative Director, joins to tell us more.
[00:12:30] Ioniq Unlimited
Hyundai (@Hyundai) is working to revolutionize the auto buying process by introduction Ioniq Unlimited, the first subscription model in the industry. Ioniq works like a cell phone subscription, combining ownership costs into one monthly payment. Listen in as CMO Dean Evans gives us more info.
[00:19:51] From Here to Infiniti
People want their car to be unique, something that differentiates them from other drivers. Infiniti (@INFINITIUSA) is certainly a brand that goes for bold designs and an image that stands out from the crowd, combining excellent aesthetics with high class comfort. Sales have been up 3.4%, and Vice President Randy Parker only expects the company to go up from here.
[00:27:01] Keeping Up the I-PACE
Jaguar (@JaguarUSA) set a precedent with their recent virtual reality reveal of the I-PACE, an all-electric SUV. In this new phase of the auto industry where the big word is autonomy, how is Jaguar prepared to accommodate coming technology? Joe Eberhardt, CEO of Jaguar Land Rover North America, describes the company’s focus for the future.
One of the biggest consumer complaints when it comes to vehicles is navigation. Street locations aren’t always very reliable, and there are many places in the world that don’t even use addresses and postal codes! How are we supposed to find our way around? Giles Rhys Jones introduces What3Words (@what3words), an app that maps 10×10 foot squares of the entire globe and assigns unique 3 word combinations to them. Intrigued? Listen in!
[00:42:10] Monster Trucks
Chevy (@chevrolet) just launched a new Duramax diesel here at the LA Auto Show. This truck comes with 445 horsepower, 910 foot-pounds of torque, and produces 30% less emissions than previous models. What can’t you tow with this monster? Hugh Milne, Marketing Manager for Chevrolet Silverado, gives us an update on the features added to this new addition.
[00:48:46] Mission E-Possible
The President and CEO of Porsche North America (@Porsche) weighs in on new introductions, the next big project, and the importance of California in Porsche sales. Klaus Zellmer is particularly excited to introduce the all electric Mission E, which will reach a range of over 300 miles and have the ability to recharge to 80% in 15 minutes.
[00:54:41] Super Sized Subaru
What would you think of a 3-row, 7 passenger Subaru (@subaru_usa)? You’ll be able to see one in about 12 months! Mike McHale, Director of Corporate Communications, outlines the Viziv-7 concept, the biggest concept car Subaru has ever made.
[01:02:03] A Lifestyle Vehicle
Jeep (@Jeep) has been doing some incredible things lately, and the future is looking mighty promising. Not only will we see a brand new Jeep Compass, but we can expect a new rendition of the Wrangler late next year. Safety, comfort, and capability; maybe Scott Tallon can tell us what, if anything, Jeep doesn’t offer!
What if you could drive around a BMW or Mini Cooper whenever you wanted for just 41 cents a minute? That’s what ReachNow (@reachnow) is offering in Seattle, Portland, Brooklyn, and quite possibly a city near you soon. To find out more about this amazing service, we invited CEO Steve Banfield to chat with us.
[01:18:03] Premium Practicality
Trust Alfa Romeo (@AlfaRomeoUSA) to introduce the fastest 4-door production sedan in the world! The first SUV they’ve revealed in 50 years, the Stelvio, kicks out 505 horsepower and performs like the sports cars the brand is known for. Listen in as the Head of Alfa Romeo, Reid Bigland, tells us more.
Special Guests and Contributors:
- Guest: Masahiro Moro | President and CEO, Mazda
- Guest: Dave Marek | Global Creative Director, Acura
- Guest: Dean Evans | CMO, Hyundai
- Guest: Randy Parker | Vice President, Infiniti
- Guest: Joe Eberhardt | CEO, Jaguar Land Rover North America
- Guest: Giles Rhys Jones | CMO, What3Words
- Guest: Hugh Milne | Marketing Manager for Chevrolet Silverado, Chevrolet
- Guest: Klaus Zellmer | President and CEO, Porsche North America
- Guest: Michael McHale | Director of Corporate Communications, Subaru
- Guest: Scott Tallon | Director of Jeep Brand, Jeep
- Guest: Steve Banfield | CEO, ReachNow
- Guest: Reid Bigland | Head of Alfa Romeo, Alfa Romeo
- Website: LA International Auto Show
- Website: Mission E
- Vehicle Mention: Alfa Romeo Stelvio
- Vehicle Mention: Mazda CX-5
- Vehicle Mention: Mazda CX-9
- Vehicle Mention: Jaguar I-PACE
- Vehicle Mention: 2016 Subaru Viziv-7 Concept
- Host: Alan Taylor
- Producer: Jason Masters
- Production Asst: Joanne Bolden
- Copy Editor: Sara Antonuccio
Our Sponsors & Supported Charities:
- Austin Hatcher Foundation
- Foundation of Human Understanding
- Go RVing
- Haynes Manuals
- Patriot Outreach
- The Little Rock Foundation
This episode was produced by Entertainment Right Now (ERN). If you found value in this episode, and you’d like to hear more, please consider leaving us a review on iTunes and be sure to subscribe to our podcast so you don’t miss a beat. Your feedback helps us to reach more enthusiasts around the world! If you have a question you’d like us to answer, please leave a comment below or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.