THE DRIVE with Alan Taylor | Episode #277
Being an automotive enthusiast is about two things: the cars and the people. OEMs are constantly improving vehicles, and using their resources to help build strong communities. We’re broadcasting from the Shell Pioneering Performance Stage at the Barrett-Jackson collector car auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. Tune in for a behind-the-scenes look at this bucket-list event.
- [00:00:00] Ford Raises $207k to Support T1D Research
- [00:04:36] Electrifying Alternatives & Nameplate Revivals
- [00:12:30] Lean, Mean, Ford Performance Machines
- [00:19:51] Indianapolis 500 Champion, Arie Luyendyk
- [00:25:49] Dream Machine: Shelby Super Snake 2.0
- [00:35:52] Fast N’ Loud Franchise Opportunities
- [00:42:12] Welder Up Joins Fight Against Cancer
- [00:49:24] “Cancer Car” to be Auctioned at Barrett-Jackson
- [00:54:43] The Enthralling Power of the Trans Am
- [01:02:04] Must Watch Motorsports Documentaries
- [01:11:42] Designing Cars during GM’s Glory Days
- [01:17:35] Shelby Goes Global, Reveals Sebring Cobras
Discover more about segments and guests below…
[00:00:00] Ford Raises $207k to Support T1D Research
Just after the hammer dropped on a 1-of-1 2017 Ford Raptor raising $207,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the excitement is palpable as Ford Motor Company President and CEO, Mark Fields, makes his way to the Shell Pioneering Performance Stage. JDRF’s Michael White says Ford has helped raise over $58-million for type 1 diabetes research (More than $5-million raised at Barrett-Jackson auctions). We learn more about these incredible partnerships – pure magic!
[00:04:36] Electrifying Alternatives & Nameplate Revivals
The rumor mill has been turning and we’re chomping at the bit to talk future products with Ford Motor Company President and CEO, Mark Fields. From “electrifying” iconic nameplates like the Mustang, to reviving legendary vehicles like the Ranger and Bronco, we go deep on the latest Ford news. Plus, find out why Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale is always a must-attend event for Ford.
[00:12:30] Lean, Mean, Ford Performance Machines
Henry Ford III has worked through the ranks of Ford Motor Co. and is now taking the helm of Ford Performance, a division brimming with hot performance cars. We find out why the Ford Focus RS is Henry’s car of choice when he puts the pedal-to-the-metal on the streets of Dearborn. Then, we discuss a very special truck crossing the auction block to benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, a 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor with Ecoboost. Closing out our interview, Henry reveals notable upgrades found in the glorious 2018 Ford Mustang.
[00:19:51] Indianapolis 500 Champion, Arie Luyendyk
It’s not often that we get the chance to talk with a two-time Indianapolis 500 winner! We had so many questions for the legendary Arie Luyendyk, who still retains the memory of his wins as if they happened only yesterday. How did it feel to come out the champion? Has he had any involvement with the Indy 500 since? And most importantly, what form of racing does he watch now?
[00:25:49] Dream Machine: Shelby Super Snake 2.0
What happens when you gather up the wishes and opinions of Shelby enthusiasts and turn them into a car? The Shelby Super Snake 2.0! Shelby American’s President, Gary Patterson, shares the specs of the latest addition to the company’s long-standing history of high performance vehicles. Plus, how does a super-machine like the Terlingua get its name? We enlist Aaron Shelby, grandson of Carroll Shelby himself, to tell us the story.
[00:35:52] Fast N’ Loud Franchise Opportunities
We had to reach all the way across the pond for our guest Chris Smith! “Big Chris” is a frequent guest on ‘Fast N’ Loud’, owns a business importing and exporting cars to and from the U.K., and is helping Dennis Collins franchise Collins Bros Jeep. This busy man still has time for fun, of course. He and Alan spend some time reminiscing about their first meeting at the 2007 Bullrun Rally.
[00:42:12] Welder Up Joins Fight Against Cancer
Master metal fabricator, Steve Darnell and his General Manager, Joe Giamanco are as close as brothers. When Joe’s 2-year-old son, Preston, was diagnosed with kidney cancer during the filming of Discovery Channel’s “Vegas Rat Rods”, the news shook the Welder Up team to their core. Channeling his emotional response to the news, Steve endeavored to create an ambitious fabrication project to encapsulate the effects of cancer and subsequent chemotherapy.
[00:49:24] “Cancer Car” to be Auctioned at Barrett-Jackson
Welder Up’s “Cancer Car”, a 1931 Ford Sedan, tells a story of destruction and revival with artful accents of raw metal, handmade steel roses and living moss. Steve Darnell, owner of Welder Up, really wanted to portray what cancer does to your body with the way the car looks. The tears in the metal were to portray cancer leaving your body and the rose bushes were meant to be symbolic of cancer’s grip on your body. With a member of their crew’s family being effected by cancer, this project is extremely close to their hearts. Be a part of Steve’s emotional connection to this build.
[00:54:43] The Enthralling Power of the Trans Am
“Smokey and the Bandit” had an impact on the lives of so many people, including those of Alan and his two guests, Dave Hall and Richard Rawlings. Dave had the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work on Burt Reynolds’ Trans Am at his shop, Restore a Muscle Car. Trans Ams are near and dear to the heart of Richard Rawlings, owner of Gas Monkey Garage and Star of ‘Fast N’ Loud’ as well. After owning one in high school, he spent years trying to locate and buy his Trans Am back again, with no luck – until Dave came along. Is there a better way to cement a friendship than finding someone’s high school hot rod?
[01:02:04] Must Watch Motorsports Documentaries
PJ Jones grew up entrenched in professional motorsports – We would expect nothing less from the son of living legend, Parnelli Jones. PJ shares humorous anecdotes about being surrounded by motorsports greats like A.J. Foyt and Dan Gurney as a child. Then, we learn more about two new documentaries; “Godspeed: The Story of Page Jones” and “Behind the Indianapolis 500”. Car Barn Productions Producer, Michael Walker, tells us more about the latter film which chronicles the history of the Indianapolis Speedway and career of Parnelli.
[01:11:42] Designing Cars during GM’s Glory Days
From 1959-1991, David North designed cars during the glory days of GM. The Oldsmobile Toronado, one of many vehicles designed by David, was created to rival the sporty Ford Thunderbird. Bill recalls the golden era with fondness, sharing numerous anecdotes surrounding technology, fuel efficiency, and safety upgrades. Then, David shares a formative moment from his early career, a run in with GM’s then head honcho, Bill Mitchell, which eventually lead to “Project GTO”.
[01:17:35] Shelby Goes Global, Reveals Sebring Cobras
Carroll Shelby was always an “international” kind of guy, and with Ford’s recent introduction of the Mustang to a global market, new Shelby-lovers will be popping up the world over! Shelby International Co-CEO, Neil Cummings, gives us the lowdown on where enthusiasts can find certified Shelby Mod Shops in the years ahead. Then, we hope you’re ready for a big announcement! On the heels of new federal guidelines, Shelby will now be able to build complete, turnkey race cars. First up, 15 Sebring Cobras, named after the iconic 1963 race car, a project so popular that the race cars were sold out before even being unveiled – Wow!
Explore More with Helpful Links:
- Guest: Mark Fields | CEO, Ford Motor Company
- Guest: Henry Ford III | Global Marketing Manager | Ford Performance
- Guest: Arie Luyendyk, Sr | Indianapolis 500 Champion
- Guest: Gary Patterson | President, Shelby American
- Guest: Aaron Shelby | Board Member, Carroll Shelby International, Inc.
- Guest: Chris Smith | Car Investor, East Coast Muscle Cars
- Guest: Steve Darnell | Master Fabricator, “Vegas Rat Rods”
- Guest: Dave Hall | Owner, Restore a Muscle Car
- Guest: Richard Rawlings | Owner, Gas Monkey Garage
- Guest: PJ Jones | Professional Driver, PJ’s Performance
- Guest: Michael Walker | Producer, Car Barn Productions
- Guest: David North | Automotive Designer, GM (Former)
- Guest: Neil Cummings | CEO, Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc.
- Event: Barrett-Jackson, Scottsdale
- Vehicle: Ford Raptor
- Vehicle: 2018 Ford Mustang
- Article: BFGoodrich Tires on Ford Raptor
- Article: Ford Mustang is Best Selling Sports Car
- Article: Ford’s EcoBoost Engine
- Article: Hot Rod Auctioned to Benefits TGen Cancer Research
- Article: 1977 Smokey and The Bandit Pontiac Trans Am
- Documentary: Behind the Indianapolis 500 with Parnelli Jones
- Documentary: Godspeed: The Story of Page Jones
- Program Host: Alan Taylor
- Producer: Sara Antonuccio
- Production Assistant: Joanne Bolden
- Audio Engineer: Dave Milligan
- Copy Editor: Jess Baumgardner
- Graphic Design: Becky Vaughn
Our Sponsors & Supported Charities:
- Austin Hatcher Foundation
- Foundation of Human Understanding
- Go RVing
- Haynes Manuals
- Patriot Outreach
- The Little Rock Foundation
This episode was produced by Entertainment Right Now (ERN). If you found value in this episode, and you’d like to hear more, please consider leaving us a review on iTunes and be sure to subscribe to our podcast so you don’t miss a beat. Your feedback helps us to reach more enthusiasts around the world! If you have a question you’d like us to answer, please leave a comment below or e-mail us at email@example.com.